-->



Monday, September 03, 2007

A Shakespearean Light Bulb Moment 



I never knew that the movie She’s the Man was a modern version of Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night. I watched the movie again last night and not until the middle part did I realized that it was one of Shakespeare’s comedies. I’ve seen the movie before on dvd but I just didn’t realize it then. The names of the characters sounded familiar, specifically, Viola and Sebastian. The only thing was I couldn’t remember the title of Shakespeare’s comedy. It was quite funny because I couldn’t stop thinking about which comedy it was. I remembered one but it couldn’t have been cause I knew that 10 Things I Hare About You was already based on that. Of course I am talking about The Taming of the Shrew.. I also thought of The Tempest but I couldn’t really remember what that was about.


I woke up this morning with that thought still in my head. Weird really, but I just tend keep on thinking about things that I still haven’t figured out yet. Suddenly, I remembered Much Ado About Nothing but then again I can’t remember what its story was. When I was taking a bath, it finally came to my mind, like a yellow light bulb instantly popped above my head. (Harhar!) The Twelfth Night. Fabulous! How could I ever have forgotten about that when I even did a book report about it back in grade school, I think? And since then it has been one of my favorite Shakespeare comedy. I tried looking for my copy earlier but I just couldn’t find it.

If you were just wondering why the hell I am so familiar with Shakespeare’s works, well it’s because we took it up back in Grade 6 and then yet again in High School. You could say that I had such a bloody nose back in those days while reading Shakespeare. Yes, but not quite cause there are some books which has the mellowed-down versions of his works. Those books made it easy to understand his novels. Oh, but I just remembered, my uncle has a book which had all of Shakespeare’s novels/plays. As in all of it, comedies and tragedies in one thick book! It had like a font size 7 and the pages were divided into two columns. It’s as if it’s Shakespeare’s original manuscript turned into a book—it was written in old English and the actual stage blocking and whatnots were there. I also tried looking for it but to no avail. I’ll try again tomorrow.

It’s really funny that the movie She’s the Man brought back all the memories of grade school and high school and have placed me into thinking that Shakespeare is actually cool...well uhmm, when it's modernized.





This page is 

powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The 

Blog Directory Blog Directory Blog search directory